A successful weekend!
A successful weekend!
Another older project that I did was making a rose. An online book club that I’m a part of used this as a thank-you gift.
The design was based off of this felt basket tutorial, but I wanted it to look much more rose-like. To do that, I used a heavier red felt that would hold its shape well. I cut the corners off the pieces I was folding up to make it look softer and added the green bud at the bottom. I also was careful in how I shaped the petals to make sure that some of them folded over like a real rose opening.
As you can guess it completely lost the utility of being a basket, but it turned into a pretty good flower.
Here’s another little project I did back in 2011. When she was a child, my mom’s family used a set of dishes with a Dixie Dogwood pattern. This is what it looks like:
About 15 years ago, she had gone looking and put together a beautiful set of dishes in this pattern. For Mother’s Day, I’d wanted to make a set of napkins with a coordinating pattern. When I was a kid I had done cross-stitch, but I hadn’t done much since then. This was all pretty much made up on the spot.
I found a set of light cream napkins at Target, and bought embroidery supplies at our local hobby store of choice. I drew the design I wanted on in pencil and followed the lines when stitching. After a few hours, here was the final product:
What I learned:
Conclusion: 8/10, would stitch again.
This is a much shorter project, but thought it might be interesting. Behold our boring bathroom window:
This problems with this window:
1. This window overlooks a busy street.
2. The cat loves to stand on the counter and look out, and he’s done a number on the venetian blinds over time. You can see that part of the blinds are so bent that they have actually broken off. (We didn’t want that rent deposit back anyway, right?)
The challenge for curtains is that the towel bar we use all the time is immediately below it. Also, it doesn’t look it, but the window is actually pretty wide. Regular fabric isn’t wide enough to cover it and have any kind of body.
What I ended up using was actually a shower curtain from Walmart. The fabric goes very well with the different colored bottles in the room. I trimmed the length, and added fixed pleats at the top to give it body. The curtains are held up with clips at the top.
The General is still doing a number on the corner of the curtain to look out, but it seems to be wearing better than the blinds had. The print seems to hide the wear better too.
Shower curtain: $10
Curtain clips: $5
Curtain rod: $10
I like the calming blue atmosphere of the curtain. It makes the bathroom a bit more soothing, and helps to de-emphasize the faint pink of the tile. It’s not a permanent solution to be used in bathrooms for all time, but it’s great fit in this one.
For a while I’ve been saving photos from various projects that I’ve done to post here, but I haven’t gotten around to actually posting them. Here is an older project that I did. I had a cheap Rothco bag that I’d bought on Amazon that had no lining and I wanted to remedy that. Here are a few pictures of what the bag looked like when it arrived: